Firefox configuration steps
From Nick Jenkins
Revision as of 23:41, 27 March 2012 by Nickj
Firefox configuration steps
Go Tools -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> then search for and install these add-ons:
- Tax mix plus.
- Adblock Plus
- Don't want Firefox to close when pressing ctrl-w on the last tab: Tools -> tab mix plus options -> events -> tab closing -> tick "do not close window when closing last tab by hotkey".
- Tab mix plus -> Events -> Tab Opening -> Tick "Open new tabs next to current one".
- Tab mix plus -> Events -> Tab Features -> Untick "Ctrl-Tab navigates tabs in most recently used order".
- Tab mix plus -> Display -> Tab Bar -> When tabs don't fit width: Multi-row; Set number of rows to 2 or 3.
- Firefox: enable printing in print preview mode in Linux: about:config -> toggle "printWhileInPrintPreview" to "true". [Have to re-apply this setting when upgrading linux distro]
- Stop animated GIFs in Firefox: about:config -> image.animation_mode -> change to "none"
- Firefox: Fix the stupid behavior of overwriting current tabs when opening new tabs: about:config -> browser.tabs.loadFolderAndReplace -> toggle to "true". [Have to re-apply this setting when upgrading Linux distro]
- To get autocomplete for the web address, go: about:config -> browser.urlbar.autoFill -> toggle to "true" -> restart FF.
- Stop the full screen mode-switch animation: about:config -> browser.fullscreen.animateUp -> change to "0".
- Perform a sync using Foxmarks wizard, and for the initial setup keep the bookmarks on the server, and overwrite those on this computer.
- File -> Page setup ... -> Paper size = "A4", and orientation = "Portrait".
- Edit -> Preferences -> Main tab -> tick to close the download window when all downloads are finished.
- Laptops only: Add a delay to the bookmark menu collapsing (only really useful on laptops when navigating with a trackpad or button, which tends to be fairly inaccurate) - about:config -> right-click -> New -> Integer -> name is: ui.submenuDelay -> value is: 800
- Make the "Backspace" key be like pressing the "Back" button: about:config -> browser.backspace_action -> change to "0".
- Stop blocky graphics: View -> Zoom -> Tick "Zoom Text Only".
- About:config -> dom.max_script_run_time -> chnage from 10 to 20 to increase timeout on slow scripts.
- Set search bar to use Australian Google rather than US Google: Open this list of search plugins -> click "Google AU - the web" -> tick the "Start using it straight away" box -> click "Ok".
- To make streetview work: Tools -> Addons -> Flash-block -> preferences -> whitelist -> add "maps.google.com.au" and "maps.google.com".
- Firefox 4, to limit excessive memory usage: about:config -> browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers -> set to "0".
- To stop old tabs using memory when the browser is restarted: about:config -> browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs preference -> set to "0". This gives behaviour like the BarTab extension, albeit without tab unloading after a period of inactivity.
- If install noscript, then add a whitelisting for xmarks.com
- To increase mouse scroll speeed: About:config -> mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines -> toggle to false. Then make sure that mousewheel.withnokey.numlines is set to 6.