Firefox configuration steps
Firefox configuration steps
Go Tools -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> then search for and install these add-ons:
cd ~/.email@example.com/deps sudo cp KeePassRPC.plgx /usr/lib/keepass2/ Close Firefox, close KeePass (note: MUST restart keepass as it compiles the add-on modules on restart), restart Firefox.
Note: if you then get an error on starting keepass that says "the plugin cannot be loaded a new Keepass version is required to open this file", then you need to update Keepass. The ones included with the distro can be out of date (e.g. 2.32 when 2.35 is available). For example, to update Ubuntu or Mint, use this PPA with the current version:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jtaylor/keepass sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
- Don't want Firefox to close when pressing ctrl-w on the last tab: Tools -> tab mix plus options -> events -> tab closing -> tick "do not close window when closing last tab by hotkey".
- Tab mix plus -> Events -> New Tabs -> Tick "Open new tabs next to current one".
- Tab mix plus -> Events -> Tab Features -> Untick "Ctrl-Tab navigates tabs in most recently used order".
- Tab mix plus -> Display -> Tab Bar -> When tabs don't fit width: Multi-row; Set number of rows to 2 or 3.
- Stop animated GIFs in Firefox: about:config -> image.animation_mode -> change to "none"
- Firefox: Fix the stupid behavior of overwriting current tabs when opening new tabs: about:config -> browser.tabs.loadFolderAndReplace -> toggle to "true". [Have to re-apply this setting when upgrading Linux distro]
- To get autocomplete for the web address, go: about:config -> browser.urlbar.autoFill -> toggle to "true" -> restart FF.
- Stop the full screen mode-switch animation: about:config -> browser.fullscreen.animateUp -> change to "0".
- Perform a sync using Foxmarks wizard, and for the initial setup keep the bookmarks on the server, and overwrite those on this computer.
- File -> Page setup ... -> Paper size = "A4", and orientation = "Portrait".
- Edit -> Preferences -> Main tab -> tick to close the download window when all downloads are finished.
- Laptops only: Add a delay to the bookmark menu collapsing (only really useful on laptops when navigating with a trackpad or button, which tends to be fairly inaccurate) - about:config -> right-click -> New -> Integer -> name is: ui.submenuDelay -> value is: 800
- Make the "Backspace" key be like pressing the "Back" button: about:config -> browser.backspace_action -> change to "0".
- Stop blocky graphics: View -> Zoom -> Tick "Zoom Text Only".
- About:config -> dom.max_script_run_time -> chnage from 10 to 20 to increase timeout on slow scripts.
- Set search bar to use Australian Google rather than US Google: Open this list of search plugins -> click "Google Australia - the web" -> tick the "Start using it straight away" box -> click "Ok".
- To make streetview work: Tools -> Addons -> Flash-block -> preferences -> whitelist -> add "maps.google.com.au" and "maps.google.com".
- Firefox 4, to limit excessive memory usage: about:config -> browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers -> set to "0".
- To stop old tabs using memory when the browser is restarted: Edit -> Preferences -> Tabs -> tick "Don't load tabs until selected". * If install noscript, then add a whitelisting for xmarks.com
- To increase mouse scroll speeed: About:config -> mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines -> toggle to false. Then make sure that mousewheel.withnokey.numlines is set to 6.